I pride myself on being woefully behind on urban dictionary type terms and social references. And so it is that I’ve only recently become acquainted with the real meaning of an outwardly benign expression of support for a chap named Brandon.
All in good fun many of my friends would say, and definitely well earned.
I understand the snark, but do we take God seriously only when he conforms to our political views?
“You shall not revile God, nor curse a ruler of your people.”- Exodus 22:28
“Then Paul said to him, "God shall strike you, you whitewashed wall! Are you sitting to judge me according to the law, and yet contrary to the law you order me to be struck? Those who stood by said, "Would you revile God's high priest? And Paul said, "I did not know, brethren, that he was the high priest; for it is written, ' You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.' “- Acts 23:3-5
“Bless those who persecute you. Bless and do not curse them.”- Romans 12:14
I suppose I’ll get the usual eyerolls and comments of “You’re taking this too seriously/literally.” Or the old standby “But it’s different now. Look at this guy!”
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments… He who does not love me does not keep my words; and the word which you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.”- John 14:15, 24
I simply recall that the quotes from Acts and Romans speak of such men as these, according to Josephus and the Catholic Encyclopedia. Not so very different from our own rulers and high priests I think.
At a time when high-priests were made and unmade by officials of Rome, and when the principal quality required seems to have been subserviency, it is no credit to the character of Caiphas to have enjoyed their favour so long.
No comments:
Post a Comment